As the federal government has shared information related to accessing to unemployment for businesses and affected labor forces, below are some scenarios with resources that may help job seekers as they are affected by COVID-19.
Are you facing any of these situations?
Is your employer is considering shutting down operations temporarily?
If the employer chooses to participate in the Shared-Work program and is approved, employees will share available work hours instead of a few workers being laid off. While working these reduced hours, employees will be eligible to collect a portion of UC benefits.
Employer temporarily ceases operations, does not want to participate in a shared-work program and you will return to work after business opens up again.
You are practicing self isolation or have been asked to go under quarantine from a doctor.
For both scenarios 2 & 3 , you are able to file an unemployment claim online or through the phone.
Applications can be filed:
- Anytime on our website uc.pa.gov which is the easier and faster way to file for UC benefits (UC-98 Online Is Quick & Easy).
- If using the internet is not possible, telephone calls to our UC Services 888-313-7284 are accepted only:
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8 AM to 4 PM,
Wednesday, 12 Noon to 6 PM,
Friday, 8 AM to 12 Noon (UC TTY 888-334-4046)
UC-23 PA UC Filing Materials Checklist: Information you must provide:
- Social Security Number
- Exact reason for separation
- Separating employer information (UC-1609, if provided by employer)
- Additional documents as requested
Within 10-12 days of filing an initial UC claim, you will receive:
- Claim Confirmation Letter, which confirms the claim was filed, provides your UC PIN, and when to file your biweekly claim. Also reviews method of UC payments, Debit Card or Direct Deposit.
- PA UC Debit Card (default method of payment).
- Unemployment Compensation Handbook, which explains all aspects of your rights and responsibilities when claiming Unemployment Compensation benefits.
- Notice of Financial Determination, which informs you of your financial eligibility for UC benefits and Weekly Benefit Rate.
Once you are approved to receive unemployment benefits, you need to:
- File your claim biweekly online or by phone. You will need your SSN and your unemployment PIN number assigned to you.
- This must be completed online uc.pa.gov, or by phone (UC PAT number 888-255-4728, Spanish 877-888-8104, UC TTY 888-334-4046) Sundays from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm, Monday to Friday from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Important Updates to the Unemployment Process as of 3/17/20
- If approved, your first benefit payment should arrive within four weeks of filing for UC
- Continue filing your bi-weekly claim (every two weeks) – even while waiting for approval
- PA UC is experiencing very large call volumes. Please email them at email@example.com, or via UC LiveChat.
- (NEW) The Waiting Week is suspended. Previously, claimants were not eligible for benefits during their first week of unemployment (the “waiting week.”) This has been suspended; eligible claimants may receive benefits for the first week that they are unemployed
- (NEW) Work Search and Work Registration requirements are temporarily waived for all UC claimants. Claimants are not required to prove they have applied or searched for a new job to maintain their UC benefits. Claimants are also not required to register with www.PACareerLink.gov.
- At this time, benefits are not being extended beyond 26 weeks
You would not like to file for unemployment and would like to access temporary employment.
Check out the Workforce Connections section below to connect with current job opportunities and sign up for virtual job fair events,
YoCo Workforce Connections
As the business climate continues to evolve as a result of COVID-19, many individuals are enduring layoffs from employment at a time when industries that are remain operational are seeking employees at higher demands.
The collaborative workforce efforts of the YCEA seek to connect industry with potential labor forces. If you are looking for employment please look below or if you would like to share your company’s job openings, please submit your job.