The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps families living on low incomes pay their heating bills in the form of a cash grant.
Households in immediate danger of being without heat can also qualify for crisis grants.
The cash grant is a one-time payment sent directly to the utility company/fuel provider to be credited on your bill. These grants range from $200 to $1,000 based on household size, income, and fuel type. Remember: This is a grant and does not have to be repaid.
How to apply. There are three ways to apply for LIHEAP:
- Online: Apply for benefits online using COMPASS, the online tool for Pennsylvanians to apply for health and human service programs and manage benefit information.
- On Paper: You can download a paper application, print it, fill it out, and return it to your local county assistance office.
- In-person: At this time, the office is closed to the public
Am I eligible?
- You must meet income guidelines
- You don’t have to be on public assistance
- You don’t need to have an unpaid heating bills
- You can rent or own your home
For more information visit https://www.dhs.pa.gov/Services/Assistance/Pages/LIHEAP.aspx and see the LIHEAP Brochure, available in English or Espanol. Or, call the county assistance office in York at 717-771-1100, or the LIHEAP hotline at 1-866-857-7095.